Welcome to the Mt Laurel Library's 1,000 BOOKS BEFORE KINDERGARTEN PROGRAM!
Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost his or her brain power?
The simple and enjoyable act of sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills such as understanding
the sounds letter make, developing a bigger vocabulary, and building backfround knowledge--all important skills
that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten.
Mt Laurel Library's 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your
child on the path to success! Any child ages birth to five years can participate. Just follow these steps:
- Register: Sign up at the library des. Pick up program materials at the library. Don't worry if you
lose your sheet, we can always replace it!
- Track Your Reading: Fill in a circle for each book you read with your child on your reading record.
- Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book again and again, you can count
it each time. You can also count the books your child hears in storytime, in daycare or preschool, or
with a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
- 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, bring your reading record to the library to
receive a special sticker. Take home a new reading record for your next 100 books.
- 1,000 Books: You did it! Come celebrate at the library and receive a special prize.
- Keep on Reading: Don't stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together; there's more learning ahead!
Singing songs, saying rhymes, telling stories, and playing with your child are all great ways to build their
literacy skills. Visit the Mt Laurel Library often for free programs that are fun and educational for your
little one and to find great books to share with your child.
One thousand books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you'll meet your goal
in less than 3 years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year! Ask our
staff for suggestions-- we are here to help you on your journey to 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten!